Friday, March 11, 2011

Eating my share (03.11.11)

So, I admit to being a bit lazy today. It's a Friday night and I had a really busy work week, having just started a new in-house gig (on top of my other writing assignments). On nights like these, I fall off the whole foods (NOT the grocery, thank you very much) bandwagon and look for some short cuts. Well, opportunity is a dish best served cold. Or something like that.

As I was heading off to my CSA meat distribution yesterday afternoon, two very nice ladies were handing out what appeared to be free samples of Philadelphia Cream Cheese. I generally buy this brand because it's easy and my kids like it (sometimes we make allowances; I get the fresh baked bagels, then schmeer with the Philly brand). When I finally got home (several hours later), I realized that what I had been handed was a new mass-produced product, a sauce, from the makers of the ubiquitous cream cheese. I hesitated, but after reading the ingredients (milk, water, whey protein... I had to get to the 12th ingredient before I found anything suspect, i.e. maltodextrine), I thought maybe this could pass the Velveeta test (that's what I consider the worst food we'll consume; it's saved for those really bad mommy days where the kids are in a bad mood and I'm in a worse mood... out comes the Velveeta shells and cheese, although, in my defense, I usually slice in some nitrate-free hotdog).

Thus it was, I managed the following recipe. It turned out really well. A nice end to the winter season (although maybe not appropriate for a Friday during Lent!).

Garlic Pork Casserole

  • 2-3 medium grass-fed pork chops (de-boned)
  • 1 1/2 cups short grain brown (or your favorite) rice
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 container Savory Garlic Philadelphia-brand Cooking Cream
  • 1 cup chicken broth + 1 cup water
  • salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
In a saute pan, flash grill the pork chop until slightly brown. Cut into small pieces and remove from heat. Turn oven on to 400 degrees.

I like cooking in a Romertoff clay cooker, but any covered casserole dish will do. Put in rice and stir in peas and sauce until well distributed.Combine chicken broth with 1 cup water. Mix into rice mixture. Add meat. Stir in with salt & pepper.

Cook in oven for 30 minutes, then stir. Another 30 minutes should have the rice fully cooked (you may want to "peek" after 20 minutes to make sure rice is not overdone. Serve with garlic knots.

No comments:

Post a Comment